Jason Reitman's "Young Adult" is to romantic comedies what Four Loko is to Diet Coke -- a way rougher ride than what you're used to. The director reteams with his Academy Award-winning "Juno" screenwriter Diablo Cody to bring you Mavis Gary, a character of unrelenting sociopathic narcissism.
Mavis, portrayed by Charlize Theron with ferocious conviction, is a former high school ice queen who returns to her hometown to win back her teenage sweetheart Buddy (Patrick Wilson), despite his being happily married with child. The great Patton Oswalt costars, and both he and Theron are earning advance raves and Oscar buzz.
1. Adorable. "If you look at the inscription it reads 'For Buddy Slade, whose family I would like to destroy.'"
2. Checking In. This hotel desk clerk is really earning her $8.50 an hour.
3. Looking for a Dress. "She made everyone feel comfortable" ... something that will not be on Mavis Gary's tombstone.
4. Do I Know You? Mavis fails to recognize the man who did the KFC Famous Bowl joke on Conan.
5. Wedding Photo. Further proof that having loving parents doesn't guarantee squat for how you'll turn out personality-wise.